Saturday, March 04, 2006

At last we found the fusion of your two great passions

This week:
  • Josh left for South Korea. (Haven't heard from him yet, but my mother-in-law says, "No news is good news" - and I believe her.)
  • Had the week off of school.
  • Swiffled all the floors twice.
  • Did some extensive visa research on the Internet.
  • Rumaged through my school book boxes to find the ones I want to sell.
  • Stayed in bed for a few hours one afternoon and evening to pre-view Kenneth Branagh's film version of Hamlet for English Lit class. (I was feeling a little under the weather at the time.)
  • Made a special effort to call people on the phone.
  • Had a friend over from Marion who'd never been here before.
  • Went to Indiana University two times to see one-handers (one man shows). One guy read/acted out a few stories from Ovid's Metamorphosis and another guy read war poems. These gentlemen were from among 5 who were visiting IUK for a week from a London theater (excuse me ... theatre.)
  • Went back to IUK one evening to hear a lecture from the world renown Shakespeare expert, Peter Holland.
  • Went back to IUK a fourth time to see the actors from the London stage perform The Merchant of Venice.
  • Got the bestest birthday gifts.

My hubby gave me some nice earings and then there is one gift upon which I want to further comment. The title of this blog, "At last we found the fusion of your two great passions," is what my kids wrote on the inside cover of the little book they gave me. The title of the book is Yoga for Chickens.

Did they grace me with such a gift because I suffer from yogaphobia? Indeed not! They simply know how I miss all 24 of the chickens I used to own back at our farm in Texas. My beautiful chickens! My adorable chickens! They know that my attachment to the chickens went way beyond letting them out of the henhouse in the morning and tenderly tucking them in at night. They remember how I gazed out the window upon my pets with affection and often exclaimed, "There goes Jamie! Do you see how adorable she is? And look whose running right behind her! Why ... it's Jamie!" You see, I named all 24 of my chickens "Jamie."

Now my lovely children (the human ones) have given me a book so that if I ever get chickens again, I can have a chicken yoga class.

The following are a list of poses from the book:
  • The object of contemplation - chickens are perfect
  • Soar however briefly
  • Laughing chicken breath
  • I dunno shoulder shrug
  • Flying bug/crawling bug
  • Worm!
  • Sunnyside up
  • Funky chicken
  • (and my personal favorite) Crouching chicken hidden weasel
What an inspiration!

... Or do you suppose that they gave me the book because I like to exercise with yoga poses and I like chickens, too? ...

3 comments:

C. Bright said...

Although the adoring masses were charmed over their gift’s success, I *believe* that they actually harbored a few ethological objections to a society safeguarding live chickens.

In short, one *might* take the general intent of this book as a gift designed to satisfy the need for chicken company… forever.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Jamies!!!! Well, not individually, all 24 of them. I remember the Jamies collectively, of coarse.

Suzanne said...

::Gasp::
What exactly to you mean by that, Canny?

SOG, I'm sure you remember my little peeps with high esteem. Of course, you surely remember some of their ancestors who lived on your farm when you were just a peep. :-)