Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bibliophiliac

Here in the "Learning Commons" (aka the IUK library) I hear quiet mummers, but no one approaches me for essay tweeking - so I can whip off an entry.

Two weeks of uni classes are past, and I'm getting into the groove. Both my classes offer many happy future inspirations since I am highly interested in the content of both.

My Mon/Wed "History of the English Language" class (w/me & Candace) touches on my beloved Latin. It spans Old English, Mid English, and Mod English. I'm researching to see if I can find enough information to write about British everyday people being exposed to Latin by singing the Psalms. I'm very excited about this! I'll keep you posted.

My Mon night class is a survey of the study of Rhetoric throughout time - starting with the ancient Greeks. I've taught/studied Aristotle's Rhetoric two different times and this has proved to be extremely helpful. The reading for this class is pretty heavy and demanding, but I'm going to learn a lot. It should make me a better writer and a better teacher, I hope. We have to write timed essays in reaction to our reading at the beginning of each class. I haven't had to do that for years - whew!

I brought my student's papers here today, so I think I'll grade for a while. Later!

2 comments:

the green sharpie! said...

I don't know how you do it Mrs. Jones! :) Your paper sounds fantastic by the way...but as to grading papers...ag! that means mine are probably in there!

C. Bright said...

The Learning Commons does indeed inspire us to greater... uh greatness.


Oooooooor not.
;P