Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Quotes from my day

Here's my day through a snippet of quotes I happened upon.

First thing this morning in my private devotions, I read a quote from the prince of preachers, Charles Spurgeon, on the authorship of Psalm 51:
"It is a marvel, but nevertheless a fact, that writers have been found to deny David's authorship of this Psalm, but their objections are frivolous; the Psalm is David-like all over. It would be far easier to imitate Milton, Shakespeare, or Tennyson, than David. His style is altogether sui generis (the person, himself), and it is as easily distinguishable as the touch of Rafael or the coloring of Rubens."

Later at my a.m. Latin II class, here's the most profound quote that sprang forth from my mouth during the lecture:
"If you want to remember the Roman numerals pertaining to the number five, just hold up the five fingers of your hand with your thumb extended forming the shape of a "V" for a 5; then hold them in an "L" for 50; then with the help of your other hand hold them up in a "D" for 500."

I found this one as I searched for just the right quote to jot in a letter I was writing to Josh today. It was spoken by Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill in a radio broadcast in reference to Russia:
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

And finally I leave you with the most unique quote I encountered today and my personal favorite. This quote which was lifted off of the 47th Pea's blog comments was inscribed by the illustrious Ulgramar:
"Thou villian! Thou swine-hearted foul! Thou mammering, onion-eyed lout! Thou disgrace to thy mother's household and thine father's people! Wherefor didst thou take mine belovedest Helfrega? Time cannot count the swiftness of mine journey to fetch and redeem my love."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed our phone conversation this morning. Now here's a quote for you - I just read it somewhere.

"The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It is just twice as big as it needs to be."

I will have to think what I think about that.

Suzanne said...

Yeah, I enjoyed our conversation as well. We were starting to get pretty philosophical, I thought.

So I'll philosophize on the quote you found. I think the writer questions pesky parameters and seems doubtful about the existence of any absolutes in life.

Modern, very modern. :-)

C. Bright said...

Actually the class was full of burnt molasses and my brain fell into it when I got home.


Would that it had had espresso.